Google

12 August 2006

growing up

I started life as Mom, MOM! at an advanced age (no I'm not going to tell you what it was).

That's been an absolutely Good Thing, for all the obvious reasons: finances are easier, my patience is deeper, my sense of humor always at the ready. In fact I spend a lot of my time laughing hysterically at my kids (not always out loud). Kids are a hoot, especially if you are not worried one little bit about how they Reflect On You. When you are old as dirt, and when your kids do not share your DNA, it's easier, I think, not to get all wrapped around the axle about How It Looks ("it" being whatever outrage your darling has perpetrated in the last 5 minutes).

But it's not clear that all that will help much with the next part of growing up--mine, that is.

You see, One is on her first date.

I know it is a date because she showered and fussed with her hair and asked for the lint brush--things she never ever does when she is doing stuff with just-friends.

He is a nice boy. His parents are nice people. It's a day time date. Neither one of them is wearing clothes that show any abdominal skin or underclothing.

So that's good, right?

Yeah, right. I am wandering around in a haze. My baby. At the movies. With a boy. My baby who, the minute she could speak 2 words in a row, said to me, imperiously, "No dress!!!!" and hasn't had a skirt or dress on since (and still doesn't--she's wearing black pants today).

Yesterday, she turned 14. Tomorrow, she'll be 35.

Maybe, tomorrow, I'll be grown up enough to stand it.

Comments:
All I can say is Bless Your Heart. My one and only just left for his 3rd year of college. Summer with him home has been great, even as I helped him study through 2 summer semesters of Anatomy & Physiology at our local college. I reminded myself that one of my most important jobs as a mother is to let him grow up. Good luck letting yourself grow up. Suzy, still looking for the darned PAUSE button on life.
 
Boo-hoo hoo! I know what ya mean.

My youngest (bio daughter)is 15 (oldest- bio son-is almost 18) and it is HARD!! to watch them grow up (except when it's easy, cuz I'm nagging them to GROW UP!!). LOL

mom, MOM! You are an awesome mom. If I could write a decent song to sing your praises, I would. The lyrics still might come to me, but you'd never want me to sing it. Trust me.

Keep up the insighful mom-soul-gazing and instrospection. You are exceedingly talented at this thing you are doing. I am honored to be along for the ride.
 
Oh wow--your One and my Three share a birthday. My Three turned 14 on August 11 too. It's happening WAAAYYY too fast--I could use that pause button if you ever find it!!

Thanks for all your words of wisdom. Again you have given my great things to think about...
 
Wow---you guys are so wonderful! Thank you for reading and giving such amazingly sweet feedback! (People are going to start thinking I'm writing my own comments instead of blushing while reading them.....).

Being a mom is an intellectual, spiritual, and physical journey--I think it's the most demanding journey a human can take. I am delighted and honored to be taking it, and in such awesome company.

Thanks so much--it really means a lot to me,
 
Hey Mom, MOM!!

R U OK? No updates for quite awhile...

R UR kiddos OK?

Just checking in.

T
(from Iowa)
 
Aw. Thank you T. That is just so nice of you, to wonder about it and to check in like this.

I really appreciate it.

I'll try to stay on the ball a little better, and I promise that if anything dire happens around here I'll make sure to have somebody post about it. Knock wood.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?