Google

13 March 2006

they not big

One day on the way to school (a longish drive), Five asked me if I
know China's phone number.

So of course I asked why he wanted to know.

He said, "In My China [that's his term for his SWI] there's LOTTA
babies."

"Oh," says I.

"You call China, mom, and you bringa one, maybe two, baby
home."

"You want a baby in our family?"

"Mom, LOTTTTTTTA baby in My China."

Then he talked about "going downstairs" and watching someone
"cook the babas" for the babies. He said HIS baby doesn't wear
diapers. His baby, he says, is a girl, and wears underpants like
he does. But he doesn't know her name. (And he still uses
pronouns more or less interchangeably, so "she" could be a
"he.")

"Then I go back upstairs, mom, and go to sleep where nobody
is."

pause.

"Mom, LOTTTTTA baby there. One, maybe two--they not big. You
go My China, bringa baby here."

If we could have Five do recruitment of adoptive families, I think
there'd be a Chinese adoptee in every family in this country.

At least.

Comments:
I've read this entry at least 20 times and it always brings a little tear to my eye. Five is an amazing little guy and I can hear his innocent voice in my head over and over saying "they not big". It's a profound statement in ways he probably can't yet imagine. Makes me both happy and sad, but I think that's a good thing. I love your blog!
 
Hi Maureen--it's so nice of you to comment here--I know you have your hands full waiting for Olivia!! :-)

I have exactly the same reaction to this story. I could barely keep the car on the road when it happened.

I love your blog too!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?